SEN Information Report

Reynolds Primary Academy Parents' Information SEN information Report 2016


All North East Lincolnshire (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The four broad 'areas of need' are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs.

What is the Local Offer?

The LA Local Offer

  • The Children and Families Bill Has been enacted in 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the 'Local Offer'.
  • The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

The School SEN Information Report

This utilises the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEN pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

Your Child has Special Educational Needs. What can we at Reynolds Primary Academy offer you?

At Reynolds Primary Academy, we embrace the fact that every child is different, and, therefore, the educational needs of every child is different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.

Please see the 13 questions below for more information about the Local Offer from Reynolds Primary Academy and how we can support your child.

1. Question: Who are the best people to talk to in this Academy about my child's difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?

The class teacher

Responsible for

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) know as necessary.
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets/Individual Education Plans (IEPs), based on the smaller steps outlined in PIVATS (Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Personalised teaching and learning for your child delivered by Quality First Teaching within the classroom. Whole School Provision mapping has been introduced which is a document that is used to capture targeted and specialist interventions the will be 'additional to' and 'different from' the usual differentiated curriculum. An Individual Education Plan which contains a 1 page profile and an IEP listing the goals and provision to meet the SEN. An Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP), where the academy has done everything it can to identify, assess and meet the needs of the child and they are still not making the expected progress. The Education health care Plans are issued by the Local Authority where necessary
  • Ensuring that the school's SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

The SENCo: Mr A Clark

Responsible for

  • Developing and reviewing the school's SEN policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are:
    i) involved in supporting your child's learning
    ii) kept informed about the support your child is getting
    iii) involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child's learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Specialist Advisory Service, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school's SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child's progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Principal: Mr A Clark

Responsible for

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child's needs are met.
  • The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND. SEND is reported to the Governors on a regular basis and is a standing item on the agenda. The Governor with specific responsibility with SEN meets with the SENCO on a regular basis.

The SEN Governor: Mrs Jane Aukett

Responsible for

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.

School contact telephone number:  01472 691 797

2. Question: What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in our Academy?

a) Class teacher input, via excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this means

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class. All of our teachers teach children with SEND. All of our staff including our support staff, recognise the importance of identifying SEND early and making effective provision quickly. The identification and assessment of SEND is an integral part to the academy's approach in monitoring the progress of all pupils.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand. All pupils, including those with SEND, have access to a broad and balanced curriculum. Teachers plan lessons carefully and think about the wide range of different needs in their class and use the information to set targets which are deliberately ambitious to encourage pupils to aim high.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning. Teachers plan their lessons with the SEN of pupils in mind, which means that pupils with SEN and disabilities will be able to study the full national curriculum along with their peers.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn. The type of SEN support provided is based on reliable evidence of what works.
  • The teacher carefully checks on your child's progress and decides whether they have a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work

Intervention which may be

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).
  • Wave 1 (Quality First Teaching): This is quality inclusive teaching which takes into account the learning needs of all the children in the classroom. This includes providing differentiated work and creating an inclusive learning environment.
  • Wave 2 (Targeted): This is specific, additional and time-limited interventions provided for some children who need help to accelerate their progress to enable them to work at or above age-related expectations. Wave 2 interventions are often targeted to a group of pupils with similar needs.
  • Wave 3 (Specialist): This is targeted provision for a minority of children where it is necessary to provide highly tailored intervention to accelerate progress or enable children to achieve their potential. This may include specialist interventions.

b) Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo /class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services, such as the ASD Outreach Team (Barnardo's), Specialist Advisory Services or ETHV (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).

What could happen:

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child's particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

c) Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups ("Including All Children" documentation from LA).

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team (Barnardo's) , Specialist Advisory Services or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child's needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the 'Panel of Professionals' (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child's needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child's needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child's needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The Statement or EHCP will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

3. Question: How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child's progress in the Academy?

If you have concerns about your child's progress, you should speak to your child's class teacher initially.

  • If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you should speak to the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo).

4. Question: How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child's learning in the Academy?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the Academy will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to

  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Plan any additional support your child may need.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.

5. Question: How is extra support allocated to children, and how do they progress in their learning?

  • The school budget includes money for supporting children with SEN.
  • The deployment of resources in relation to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities is based on the needs in the Academy.
  • The Executive Headteacher and the SENCo discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including:
  • The children getting extra support already
  • The children needing extra support
  • The children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.
  • In 2017 the Academy will produce a provision map which will identify the needs of SEN pupils. This will identify all support given within the Academy, will be reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of pupils are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible

6. Question: Who are the people providing services to children with SEND in this Academy?

School provision

  • Teaching Assistants mainly working with either individual children or small groups.
  • ICT support in the form of (Lexia), a phonic reading programme, is delivered by the SEN teaching assistant during specified ICT lessons and small group sessions, according to need.
  • SEN teaching assistant supports pupils identified as having specific difficulties during English and maths lessons
  • Teaching Assistants offer support for children with emotional and social development
  • Local Authority Provision delivered in school
  • Autism Outreach Service (Barnardo's)
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • ETHV for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)
  • Specialist Advisory Services
  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CAMHs

7. Question: How are the teacher's in the Academy helped to work with pupils with SEND, and what training do the teacher's have?

The SENCo's job is to support the class teacher in planning for pupils with SEN.

  • The Academy provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of pupils, including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Attachment Disorder and speech and language difficulties, Deaf Awareness and Visual Impairment training.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. ETHV team, Educational Psychologist (Attachment Disorder).

8. Question: How will teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of pupils in their class (including using PIVAT targets) and will ensure that your child's needs are met.

  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies are used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning (including that for specific PIVAT targets) and teaching is adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child's learning needs.

9. Question: How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

  • Your child's progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress will be reviewed formally with the Executive Head teacher and SENCo every term in reading, writing and mathematics.
  • If your child is in Reception or above, a more sensitive assessment tool can be used, which shows their attainment in more detail – breaking learning down into smaller steps (PIVATS – Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting). 17 areas of Learning for EYFS.
  • At the end of each Key Stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results that are published nationally.
  • Where necessary, children will have an IEP based on PIVATS (Performance Indicators for Value Added Target Setting) or based on targets set by outside agencies specific to their needs. Targets are set using these PIVAT levels and designed to accelerate learning and close the gap. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and a future plan made.
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEN/EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child's education.
  • The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENCo and other members of the Senior Leadership Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.

10. Question: What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child's progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child's progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, provided for you in a report.
  • Personal progress targets /IEPs will be reviewed with your involvement every term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child's individual requirements.
  • A home-school book may be used to support communication with you when this has been agreed to be useful for you and your child.

11. Question: How is Reynolds Primary Academy accessible to children with SEND?

  • The school is fully compliant with DDA requirements.
  • The school has easy access and double doors and ramps.
  • There is one disabled toilet, two shower areas and changing facilities.
  • We ensure where ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • All classrooms are accessible on the ground floor.
  • After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEN.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN.

12. Question: How will we support your child when they are joining this school? Leaving this school? Or moving on to another class?

We recognize that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

  • The SENCo will be involved in discussions about pre-school children with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate.
  • If your child would be helped by a transition book to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.
  • Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child would be helped by a transition book to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. IEP's will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport, transition visits to support them in understand moving on, then these arrangments will be made for them.

In Year 6:

  • The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child's secondary school. A transition review meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
  • If your child would be helped by a transition book to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

13. Question: How will we support your child's emotional and social development?

We recognize that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social, Health end Economic education) curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer

  • Full support from Teaching Assistants.
  • Lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups.

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENCo will access further support through the CAF process.

Thinking Of Becoming A Teacher?

Apply Today

Reynolds Academy Principal

Andrew Clark

Tollbar MAT Chief Executive

David J Hampson