Main Theme: Life in WWII
End project: Designing and creating Anderson shelters
Intent: What wider skills do we want the children to have developed by the end of this theme, supporting future learning and life skills?
- Problem solving
- Working as part of a team
- Ability to show leadership
- Information gathering
- Making links
Intent: Outline the factual/topical areas that will be covered, enhancing the development of knowledge and cultural capital?
- How and why WWII started (link to WWI)
- Who they key countries were that were involved
- The rise of Hitler and the key Nazi figures
- The effects of WWII – specifically evacuation
- The Blitz – what was it and what happened
- How we defended ourselves during The Blitz
- Town vs country comparison (short burst writing)
- Making Anderson shelters.
Intent: What opportunities will there be to develop Literacy and Numeracy skills?
- Children will design and make an Anderson shelter deciding on and justifying the materials they are going to use.
- They will be learning about time in terms of when WWII happened and how long it lasted.
- Coordinates and grid references when locating countries.
- Explaining how and why WWII started.
- Descriptive paragraph.
- Letter home as an evacuee.
- Town vs country comparison.
Impact: What opportunities will be provided to assess the development of knowledge and skills?
- The effects of WWII
- The Blitz
- Town and country comparison
Impact: What specific areas of knowledge/skills will be developed during this theme, which will be assessed at different times by the teacher and by the pupil?
|Subject Knowledge/Skill||Curriculum Areas Covered|
|I can a range of questions about the past and realises that there may not always be one answer to a question.||History|
|I can use a timeline to place national and international events, along with historical periods.||History|
|I can use dates and terms accurately.||History|
|I can identify changes and links within and across historical periods.||History|
|I can use a variety of sources to collect information about the past.||History|
|I can give some causes and consequences of the main events, situations and changes of WWII.||History|
|I can give reasons, based on evidence from comparative and fair tests, for the particular uses of everyday materials.||Science|
|I can practise using maps, atlases, globes and digital/computer mapping to locate countries and describe features studied, using at two confidently.||Geography|
|I have improved my mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials.||Art|
|I can use research and criteria to develop a product which is fit for purpose.||Design Technology|
|I can analyse and evaluate my work and its effectiveness.||Design Technology|
Impact: What specific wider skills will be developed during this theme, which will be assessed at different times by the teacher and by the pupil?
Learning Skills Statements
- I can work to my own targets
- I can learn from a mistake and use it to help me move forward.
- I can organise myself and resources when working independently or in a group.
- I can debate issues until a sensible compromise is reached.
- I can take into account other people's point of view.
- I can recognise how my attitude and behaviour impact my learning.
- I can take on a range of roles within a group
- I can motivate people to contribute more effectively.
- I accept the fact that I can try and fail
- I can share my ideas and thoughts with the whole class