Main Theme: We are Scientists
End project: Designing and creating a puppet show
Intent: What wider skills do we want the children to have developed by the end of this theme, supporting future learning and life skills?
- Working as part of a team
- Ability to show leadership
- Information gathering
- Making links
Intent: Outline the factual/topical areas that will be covered, enhancing the development of knowledge and cultural capital?
- Where does light come from?
- How does light travel?
- Sources of light
- Reflective materials
- Identifying objects which are opaque, translucent and transparent
- Experimenting materials which are opaque, translucent and transparent
- Experimenting with shades of colour
- How are shadows formed?
- Design and make puppet show
- Life of Thomas Edison
Intent: What opportunities will there be to develop Literacy and Numeracy skills?
- Timeline of the life of Thomas Edison
- Evaluation of investigations
- Fact file of Thomas Edison
Impact: What opportunities will be provided to assess the development of knowledge and skills?
- Evaluating which material worked the best, opaque, translucent and transparent
- Evaluation of puppet show
- Evaluation with reflective materials
Impact: What specific areas of knowledge/skills will be developed during this theme, which will be assessed at different times by the teacher and by the pupil?
|Subject Knowledge/Skill||Curriculum Areas Covered|
|I recognise that I need light in order to see things and that dark is the absence of light.||Science|
|I can notice that light is reflected from surfaces.||Science|
|I can recognise that light from the sun can be dangerous and that there are ways to protect my eyes.||Science|
|I can recognise that shadows are formed when light from a light source is blocked by a solid object.||Science|
|I can find patterns in the way that the size of shadows change.||Science|
|I use search tools to find appropriate information and decide whether I can trust it||Computing|
|I can improve my mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials (e.g. pencil, charcoal, paint, clay).||Art|
|I can use timelines to place events in order and can show changes based on this||History|
|I can use a variety of different sources to collect information about the past.||History|
|I can use research and criteria to develop products which are fit for purpose||Design Technology|
Impact: What specific wider skills will be developed during this theme, which will be assessed at different times by the teacher and by the pupil?
Learning Skills Statements
- I can cope with changes to my routine.
- I can follow instructions without support from others.
- I can put across my ideas to others.
- I'm curious about new things and prepared to ask questions.
- I understand when a task has been completed to the best of my ability
- I can check and edit my work
- I can listen and follow instructions independently
Reynolds Academy PrincipalRebecca Scott
Tollbar MAT Chief ExecutiveDavid J Hampson
OBE, BSc, BA.